As we have been dealing with the subject of “Truth” this week, we have established that Jesus Christ is “the truth”. Yesterday we looked at the life of John the Baptist, who was the forerunner of Christ and the Bible says that he was sent to bear witness of the truth. He pointed those who followed him to Jesus when he said, (John 1:29) …Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.
This morning in my study, I see that when Jesus was being examined by Pilate that He too came into the world to bear witness unto the truth. Listen to what Jesus said to Pilate, (John 18:36-37) Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence. Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.
What caught my eye this morning was this statement Jesus made before Pilate, “To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth”. The very reason that Jesus left heaven and came into this world was to bear witness unto the truth. Everything that Jesus said was the truth.
- Jesus said that He did not come to destroy the laws of God, but to fulfil. (Matthew 5:17-18) Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
- Jesus said that He was the only way to the Father. (John 14:6) Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
- Jesus said that He was the door and that if any man enter in, he shall be saved. (John 10:9) I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
- Jesus said (John 15:13) Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
- Jesus said that He had the power to lay down His life and He had the power to take it up again.